DNA Expert Mary Eberle to Cover Topics Including Interpreting DNA Test Results, Adoptions & DNA and More!
Hack Genealogy announces its 2018 line up of dynamic, online “boot camps” covering various topics related to genetic genealogy and DNA testing. The series, is led by DNA genealogy expert Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters, LLC. Eberle states: “DNA is a new and exciting tool for genealogy research. It helps us break through brick walls and solve family mysteries. The television shows make it look very simple; but it’s not. To use DNA to its fullest extent, it is important to learn as much as you can about it.”
That’s why Hack Genealogy is proud to offer the 2018 DNA Boot Camp series that provides more in-depth information, tools, and insights on using DNA for family research. Eberle also adds: “You’ll find helpful information in this Boot Camp series on interpreting DNA results from the major DNA testing companies: AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, and 23andMe. Have a family mystery to solve? Learn how to use DNA to solve it using different kinds of DNA. We’ll cover the best tools to investigate your difficult DNA matches—you know, the ones without trees, the ones who don’t respond to you. There’s also a full presentation on understanding ethnicity estimates so that you can put them to work for you. We’ll also talk about GEDMatch, a third party tool for finding new matches and exploring your DNA results. The 2018 new series also has a case study showing the importance of combining DNA and non-DNA evidence to solve an unexpected genealogy mystery.”
Upcoming DNA Boot Camp Topics
Researching Difficult DNA Matches & Understanding Ethnicity Estimates
– Saturday, September 29, 2018
Cick HERE to register before September 24th, 2018, and get the early bird price of just $19.99 USD – no promo code needed!
- Best Tools for Researching Difficult DNA Matches: Have a really strong DNA match, but that the person doesn’t even have a name, let alone a tree? This webinar covers both free and subscription-based websites to help your detective work. It also covers the clues that can be used to figure out who matches are, where they’re from, and other important information. These new insights into your mystery can help you figure out your connection to them and place them in your family tree.
- Understanding Ethnicity Estimates: Think that ethnicity estimates provided by DNA testing don’t help, they’re wrong, or at best, they’re just fun? Learn how and when your client’s ethnicity estimates can be useful. This talk will cover 1) how ethnicity estimates are generated and the ancestral timeframe they reflect; 2) differences between the DNA testing companies; 3) additional tools to further explore ethnicity estimates; and 4) how to identify situations in which they can be very helpful. Several case studies where ethnicity estimates helped solve the genealogy mystery at hand will be covered.
GEDMatch & Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence
– Saturday, November 3, 2018
Registration opens October 1, 2018
- GEDMatch – Powerful Tools for Analyzing DNA Results and Finding New DNA Matches: GEDMatch is a free, third-party website offering additional tools to interpret your DNA results. Tools include a chromosome browser. GEDMatch accepts DNA test results from DNA testing companies, such as Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe. It can be a great way to find new matches. Learn how to use this helpful website.
- Case Study: Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence: This case study shows the importance of combining DNA and non-DNA evidence to solve an unexpected genealogy mystery. With an extensive tree in hand, it might seem that DNA would only help fill in gaps and breakdown brick walls. However, DNA pruned an entire branch of the client’s tree and uncovered a mystery. DNA—along with census records, family stories, and a pony—helped reconstruct the pruned branch.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.