Genetic Genealogy Expert Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters, LLC to Cover Topics Including Interpreting DNA Test Results, Adoptions & DNA and More!
Hack Genealogy announces the creation of a dynamic, five-part online “boot camp” experience covering various topics related to genetic genealogy and DNA testing. The series, starting on Saturday, June 24, 2017 with Interpreting Your AncestryDNA Results, will be led by DNA genealogy expert Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters, LLC. Eberle states: “DNA is a new and exciting tool for genealogy research. It helps us break through brick walls and solve family mysteries. The television shows make it look very simple; but it’s not. To use DNA to its fullest extent, it is important to learn as much as you can about it.” Visit Hack Genealogy at http://hackgenealogy.com for more information or to register for a DNA Boot Camp.
That’s why Hack Genealogy is proud to offer this DNA Boot Camp series that provides more in-depth information, tools, and insights on using DNA for family research. It follows the two previous DNA Boot Camps Getting Started with DNA Genealogy and Additional DNA Tools and Concepts.
Eberle also adds: “You’ll find helpful information in this Boot Camp series on interpreting DNA results from the major DNA testing companies: AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, and 23andMe. Have a family mystery to solve? Learn how to use DNA to solve it. We’ll cover mirror trees and many resources to investigate your difficult DNA matches. Have an adoption or “Non-Paternal Event” (NPE) in your family tree? We’ll show you how to use DNA to solve adoption mysteries. Lastly, we’ll cover DNA Client, a third-party tool for organizing and making sense of your matches.”
The DNA Boot Camp series includes “modules” that can be taken separately or together. Each “live” online session can accommodate up to 200 participants, complete with a question & answer period. We’ll also be recording the videos and selling digital downloads of the videos, along with the handouts. Visit http://hackgenealogy.com/features/store/ for current digital downloads of previous Hack Genealogy Boot Camps.
DNA Boot Camp Topics
Interpreting Your AncestryDNA Results
Saturday, June 24, 2017
- AncestryDNA: AncestryDNA has the largest database of people tested, helpful tools for analyzing your DNA test results, and many family trees posted by people who’ve tested. Learn how to interpret your DNA results from Ancestry.
- Ancestry DNA Hands-on Exercise: In this hands-on exercise, we’ll go through steps to sort through your matches and makes sense out of them. We’ll also discuss the best way to approach your matches to set the stage for developing a productive relationship with them.
Interpreting Your Family Tree DNA and 23andMe Results
Saturday, July 15, 2017
- Family Tree DNA: Learn how to navigate your Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) results both on the FTDNA website. This webinar will also provide an overview of the third-party tool, DNAGedcom, and how to use it to analyze your FTDNA results.
- 23andMe: Learn how to best use your 23andMe results. This webinar covers both the genealogy portion and the health information that 23andMe provides.
Solving Family Mysteries with DNA
Saturday, August 19, 2017
- Mirror Trees: Mirror trees are trees built based on matches’ trees. They’re often used in unknown parentage cases. However, they’re also helpful for breaking down brick walls further back in your tree and determining how your matches are related to each other and to you. Learn how to build and use mirror trees.
- Best Tools for Researching Difficult DNA Matches: Have a really strong DNA match, but that the person doesn’t even have a name, let alone a tree? This webinar covers both free and subscription-based websites to help your detective work. It also covers the clues that can be used to figure out who matches are, where they’re from, and other important information.
Finding Birth Families with DNA
Saturday, November 18, 2017
- Using DNA for Adoption & Unknown Parentage Work: In many states, adoptees have no or limited rights to information on their birth families. This is why DNA is important for many adoptees looking for their birth families. Learn techniques and resources for working with adoptees and others with unknown parents.
- Adoption & Unknown Parentage Case Studies: This webinar describes two case studies of adoptees. Both used DNA to find their birth families. Learn the steps required for each case.
DNA Client, a Third-Party Tool for Organizing & Analyzing AncestryDNA and 23andMe DNA Results
Saturday, December 16, 2017
UPDATE: Due to the holiday season, this topic has been postponed to Spring 2018
- DNA Client: DNA testing can results in hundreds or thousands of matches. DNA Client extracts information on matches from AncestryDNA and 23andMe. Information is stored in spreadsheets, making it easy to organize and analyze it. Learn how to use this powerful tool.
- DNA Client Case Studies: This webinar describes case studies in which DNA Client was used to both organize and analyze DNA matches. See great examples of how DNA Client works.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.