Today is Monday, 12 August 2013 and here are some recent finds and discoveries to help you hack genealogy!
- How Was Your Weekend?: It has been quiet on both the technology and genealogy fronts the past few days. I think everyone is trying to squeeze out every bit of enjoyment from the last days of Summer here in the Northern Hemisphere!
- Another Genealogy Society Goes Print On Demand!: Like many other genealogy societies, the Illinois State Genealogical Society has used a self-publishing platform to produce a publication. Check out the hardcover and e-book version of Soldiers of the American Revolution in Illinois on Lulu.com!
Genealogy and Technology News
- Cloud Computing: Worried about “living in the cloud” with your genealogy data? Check out 3 Tips To Stay Safe From The Dangers Of Cloud Computing (via makeuseof).
- Laptop: Before you take your laptop into the shop, check out How To Troubleshoot & Repair A Broken Laptop (via makeuseof).
- Surge Protectors: I always wondered how surge protectors worked! Do You Really Need a Surge Protector? (via makeuseof).
New Apps, Features and Websites – Oh My!
- Security: Surfing the Web can be a minefield! Here are 8 Best Free Tools for Internet Security (via Mashable).
Technology for Genealogy Group on Facebook
Visit the Technology for Genealogy on Facebook group for these new discussions:
- Family Tree Maker: Help! A new cousin sent me her FTM file on a flash drive but it won’t open. I’m using FTM 2008 and she has a different version.
- Photo Scanning: Is it better to scan to TIFF or JPG file formats for photographs?
©2013, copyright Thomas MacEntee